This whole wheat jaggery cake is a healthier take on the classic pound cake. This delightful cake is moist, light, and airy and a perfect companion for your evening tea!
What if I tell you that you can bake an amazingly delicious cake that requires less than 10 minutes to make the batter? What if I say the ingredients you need makes it much healthier than a regular pound cake? You would find it difficult to believe, isn’t it? This whole wheat jaggery cake is all that!
This recipe from the uber-talented Shreya of Sugar Dust – Dessert Amore is a keeper. Many of the recipes on this blog are usually the ‘take-it-easy’ version of authentic home recipes. I tailor the recipes I get from my friends, their moms and grand moms just a little to make it easier for you to cook. But this whole wheat jaggery cake is all Shreya’s. You are going to fall in love with this cake.
About this whole wheat jaggery cake
We are not using regular flour or sugar. Instead, we have healthier calories from whole wheat flour and jaggery. Instead of butter, the main ingredient is oil. The only butter in this recipe is for greasing the cake pan. By the way, did I tell you that this is an eggless cake as well?
If you liked this whole wheat jaggery cake, don’t forget to check out the following dessert recipes as well.
- Millet Apple Crisp (Crumble) – an “ancient” twist to a classic dessert
- Ragi Manni – a traditional, healthy dessert
- Easy Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- Lavender Kulfi
Whole Wheat Jaggery Cake
- 1 1/3 cup wheat flour atta
- 3/4 cup jaggery grated and coarsely powdered
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- salt a pinch
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup oil rice bran
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To grease the pan
- wheat flour as required
- butter as required
- Sift together the dry ingredients, excluding jaggery, into a mixing bowl.
- Add the jaggery powder to the mixing bowl.
- I used a jaggery block, scrapped it with a knife, and coarsely ground to powder in a blender.
- Now add the wet ingredients.
- Combine just enough for all the ingredients to be evenly distributed.
- Do not over-mix.
- Line the bottom of the baking pan with a parchment paper.
- Grease and flour the sides.
- I used a 7-inch round cake pan.
- Spread the cake batter evenly into the baking pan.
- Preheat the oven.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 35-40 minutes.
- You can take the cake out when a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Extract onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can use any cooking oil. But nothing that has a strong aroma. That'll overpower the cake ingredients
- Use a knife to level out the cup while measuring the flour. This will help you measure the correct amount of ingredients
- If you prefer weighing your ingredients, use 171 grams of wheat flour, and 150 grams of jaggery (grated)