Think of potato podimas as a flavourful Indian version of mashed potatoes cooked with a seasoning of mustard seeds, urad dal, and curry leaves.
Imagine the fragrance when mustard seeds, urad dal, and fresh curry leaves are tempered in oil. Now add mashed potatoes to the pan. The smooth, creamy mashed potatoes will absorb all the great flavours. That, my friends, is the story of any good potato podimas!
There is nothing pretentious about potato podimas! It is a simple preparation with some basic ingredients. For an Indian recipe, it requires very few spices. Potato podimas is probably a South Indian rendition of the classic mashed potatoes. But it is quintessentially Indian and a delicious dish that you can put together without any effort.
I am always on the lookout for hearty, easy-to-cook recipes. I usually prefer cooking dishes that have some form of protein whether it be eggs, fish, poultry, or meat. But from time to time I also come across some lip-smacking vegetarian recipes that I want to document. This potato podimas is one such dish.
About this potato podimas recipe
Cooking podimas is very easy. Potatoes, well cooked with a pinch of turmeric powder, are peeled, mashed, and kept aside. Mustard seeds are tempered in oil in a pan along with some urad dal and curry leaves. The mashed potatoes are added to the pan and seasoned with salt and chilli powder. Once they are combined well and you have your podimas. It is that simple! Optionally you can add a pinch of garam masala as well. The only note of caution is about the urad dal. Ensure that you don’t burn them. If you do, they’ll become too bitter.
If you liked this podimas recipe, don’t forget to check out the following recipes as well.
- Dal Tadka
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Vangi Bath (Eggplant Rice)
- Green Papaya Stir-Fry
- 2 big Potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon oil You can use any oil (sunflower, olive, coconut)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 2-3 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder you can add more
- a pinch garam masala optional
- Wash well and cut the potatoes into four pieces.
- You can leave the skin on.
- Cook the potatoes in a pressure cooker with some turmeric powder and enough water.
- Alternatively, you can cook them in a pot.
- Peel the potato pieces and mash them. Keep the mashed potatoes aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, and as soon as they start crackling add the urad dal as well.
- Add the curry leaves, reduce to a low flame and stir well.
- Ensure that you don't burn the urad dal.
- Add the mashed potatoes, chilli powder, salt, and combine well.
- Serve hot. Potato podimas goes well with dosa, chapati, and even as a filling in toast sandwiches.
Thank you Yogesh! 🙂