Summer is coming. Here is a refreshing drink from the coasts of Goa.
Kokum juice is a popular drink from Goa. Kokum, also called Malabar Tamarind, is known for its digestive qualities and is a rich source of vitamins. It is an essential part of the Goan cuisine, and can be found across the recipes from all other regions of the Konkan coast.
- 6 - 8 kokum Dried - pieces
- 2 cups Water -
- to taste Jaggery (unrefined cane sugar) -
- Chaat masala (optional)
- Wash the dry kokum and boil it in 2 cups of water for 8-10 minutes.
- You can see the colour change, infusing the flavours of kokum in the boiling water.
- Add jaggery to the boiling mixture. The amount of jaggery depends on the desired sweetness.
- Kokum renders a tangy, tamarind-sort of taste to the drink. You can also substitute the jaggery with sugar.
- Optional - Add a dash of chaat masala to boost the flavour.