How often do you come across a great tasting plate of food that is easy to cook, without resorting to deep-frying in oil? This garlic chicken is one such recipe.
Bite size pieces of chicken marinated with crushed garlic, dry chillies, salt and vinegar; cooked with onion and tomatoes, and finished off with green chillies for an extra kick; this is a wonderfully balanced blend of flavours. It’s got a little bit of everything – a nice heat from the chillies, tangy sweetness from the onion-tomato paste, and a subtle hint of vinegar.
Simple ingredients, honest plate of food – this is finger-lickin’ good! This is the sort of food that’s a sure shot party hit!
Note: Cooking this recipe will not take much time, but the marination does require time. You can skip it if you are in a rush, but for best results, let time do its magic!
- 500 grams chicken (small pieces)
- 3 tablespoons garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 onions medium (finely chopped)
- 1 tomato small (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon crushed dry chillies
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- to taste salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- spring onions (optional) for garnish
- Finely chop onions, tomato, and garlic.
- Lightly crush the garlic. Marinate the chicken pieces with the crushed dry chillies, vinegar, garlic and salt. Mix well, and let it sit for an hour. You can skip the marination, but to get all the great flavours of garlic, you SHOULD marinate.
- Heat some oil in a thick-bottomed pan. Add chopped onions and cook on a medium flame while stirring occasionally.
- Sweat the onions till they are tender and cooked well. When the onions start turning brown, add the chopped tomatoes, and cook further.
- Cook on a low flame till the onion and tomato mix reach a thick paste like consistency. Add salt, sugar, 3 tablespoons of water and mix well. Switch off when the water start to disappear, and transfer the contents to a bowl.
- Use the same pan, add a little oil, and braise the marinated chicken on a high flame. Stir occasionally and fry for a couple of minutes. Lower the flame, and cook with the lid closed for about 15 minutes.
- Open the lid, add the onion-tomato paste back to the pan, mix well, and cook on a low flame.
- Add salt if required. Cook till chicken pieces is evenly coated. Add the chopped green chillies, and mix well. Cook for a minute, and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with spring onions, and serve hot. You can enjoy this garlic chicken on its own, or with some fragrant rice. Recommendation: For best results, serve 4-5 hours after cooking. This will help the flavours to develop further. Heat it up in a pan just before serving.