You might be wondering what’s special about this easy pan-fried chicken!
The truth is, it’s not an extraordinary recipe! But, it’s one of the simplest fried chicken recipes that we always make at home. It requires only a handful of ingredients, doesn’t involve a long marination, and can be prepared in less than 20 minutes. It’s our goto recipe when we feel like having some fried chicken but doesn’t want to spend a lot of time waiting for it to be ready.
For most of us, fried chicken is our comfort food of choice. It’s something that we never get bored of! And we love trying out new options! This recipe is one such success story.
This fried chicken is a great balance of flavours. It’s healthy as well! It’s not deep-fried like most of the popular fried chicken options that we have. We use just enough oil to pan-fry the chicken.
Bookmark this page. It’ll come handy the next time you have a late night craving for chicken fry!
I have used chicken thighs for this post, but you could use any cut for this fried chicken preparation. The marinade is easy-peasy! It’s made with chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, vinegar, and salt. We only need these five basic ingredients. It’s the ratio of these ingredients that make all the difference. I use two parts chilli powder, one part coriander, and half turmeric powder with one part vinegar. This is mixed well with a little water and salt to make a marinade. Try to get it to a thick paste-like consistency.
A note of caution about the chilli powder. Unless you have a high tolerance for the chilli heat, go with a mild variant of chilli. I use Kashmiri chilli powder which brings in a fantastic bright red colour without adding too much heat. Paprika is a pretty good substitute that you could use.
Go ahead and try out this recipe. You are going to love it!
- 500 grams chicken 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- to taste salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper powder optional
- Cilantro (Coriander leaves) for garnishing
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Take chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder in a small bowl.
- Add vinegar, salt, and mix well with a little water to make a thick paste for the marinade.
- Score the chicken pieces, and coat with the marinade. You can dust with some pepper powder to add an extra flavour note.
- You can keep it aside for 10 minutes, but that's purely optional.
- Heat a non-stick pan, and add some oil just enough to coat the surface.
- Slowly place the chicken pieces on the pan. Let it fry on a medium heat for a minute.
- Turn them over, and fry for another minute.
- Now close the pan with a lid, and let the chicken cook for five minutes in the steam.
- Open the lid, increase the flame, and fry the chicken to get a crispy consistency on the outside.
- Fry while turning them over frequently so that they don't burn.
- Once the chicken cooked perfectly, take them off the pan, garnish with some coriander (cilantro) leaves and serve with a dash of lime.