This lime chicken recipe has a backstory to it. Recently a friend gifted a handful of limes from her home garden. I was wondering what to do with this fresh, organic produce. One fairly obvious option was to pickle them. But I didn’t have the patience to wait for days for it to be ready.
Limeade and lime marmalade were a couple of other options that I considered and discarded. Well, Partially discarded! Some of the limes were sacrificed to make freshly-squeezed limeades during this thought process.
Finally a breakthrough – lime chicken to rescue!
That’s when I thought of an easy recipe my brother in law had shared some time back.
This recipe is one of the easiest, and healthiest on this blog.
Small pieces of chicken are pressure cooked with a seasoning of coarse black pepper and salt, and a generous drizzle of lime juice and oil. I have used olive oil for this recipe, but you could use any oil of your choice. In fact, I recommend using a flavourful oil that you love. If you like coconut oil or mustard oil, use it instead of the olive oil. You’ll love this dish more with the aroma and flavours introduced by your favourite cooking oil.
This is a delicious, super healthy bowl of food to warm up your soul on a cold, rainy day.
Pour a helping of this chicken curry on a bed of brown rice, garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot. If you have a carb affinity, use a rice of your choice instead of the brown rice. You can spice this further with some crispy fried onions and chilli flakes.
- 500 grams chicken
- 1 tablespoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime
- to taste salt
- to garnish Cilantro (Coriander leaves) optional
- Squeeze the juice from a lime and get rid of the pips.
- Coarsely grind some black peppercorns. We'll need a tablespoon of this coarsely ground black pepper.
- Clean and cut the chicken into small, bite-size pieces.
- Transfer the chicken to a pressure cooker. Drizzle with lime juice and two tablespoons oil. Add 1/2 tablespoon black pepper and salt.
- Mix well, close the lid, and cook on a high flame until you get the first whistle. Lower the flame, cook for two more whistles and switch off.
- Wait for the pressure to go before opening the cooker.
- Sprinkle with some more coarse pepper and throw in a couple of lime slices.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice.
This looks so good!!!! yum.
Thank you. It tastes great too 🙂
Ooo! I love the lime in this chicken dish – so zesty! Of course I wouldn’t turn down limeade, either 🙂 Very nice!
Thank you very much Patricia! And limeade? Always! 🙂
Easy, quick, healthy and fast cooking dish. Loved it.
Thank you very much Tushar! 🙂