Chicken Chinthamani is a delicious, roasted-style chicken preparation that you’ll love cooking and sharing. Bite-sized pieces of fried chicken cooked with crushed chilli flakes, curry leaves, and a dash of vinegar. It is incredibly simple, yet amazingly delicious chicken!
This culinary gem from the Tamil cuisine was shared with me as a popular bar snack from Chennai. My cousin, who travels extensively across the country, came home recently with this recipe mentioning we have to try it and feature it on the blog. Needless to say, it did not require a lot of convincing. I became a fan in the first attempt and here I am documenting the Chicken Chinthamani recipe.
I am still trying to find out the origins of this recipe and the reason behind the unique name. Please let me know if you know the story, and I’ll include it here. All I know about the Chicken Chinthamani now is that it is an amazingly simple recipe with very few ingredients. But that simplicity doesn’t show in the results. It is a delicious dish that you wouldn’t able to stop munching. It is certainly one of those “no one can eat just one” piece of chicken delicacy!
Chicken Chinthamani preparation
Start by cleaning the chicken and cutting into bite-sized pieces. You can use boneless chicken, but I prefer leaving the bones in. It adds to the flavour. Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder and salt.
Cook the marinated chicken by flash frying. You don’t have to make them crispy.
Now shallow fry finely chopped onions with chilli flakes, curry leaves, and vinegar.
Add the fried chicken to the pan, combine well, and cook for a further few minutes. That is it! We are ready to eat! Garnish with some fresh coriander leaves (cilantro) and your Chicken Chinthamani is ready!!
This is a yummy chicken starter your guests will fall in love with. If you liked this Chicken Chinthamani recipe, don’t forget to check out the following recipes as well.
- Chicken Ularthiyathu
- Kori Sukka (Mangalore Style Dry Chicken Curry)
- Easy Honey Fried Chicken
- Black Pepper Chicken
- 1/2 kg chicken small pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or 1/2 tsp if you prefer less heat
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 large onions finely chopped
- 2 sprigs curry leaves chopped
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2-3 green chillies sliced lengthwise
- coriander leaves (cilantro) to garnish
- Marinate the chicken with turmeric powder and salt.
- Let it marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Heat some oil in a thick bottom pan and deep fry the chicken pieces to cook them.
- It should be like flash-frying. Do not make them crispy fried.
- Use a slotted spoon and transfer the fried chicken to a plate lined with kitchen towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan.
- Add the finely chopped onions.
- Once they are tender, add the chilli flakes and combine well.
- Now add the chopped curry leaves.
- Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Now add vinegar, salt, and combine well.
- Now add the sliced green chillies.
- Cook for another minute, add the fried chicken and mix well.
- Continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Switch off and serve hot.