Chilli fried prawns
This chilli fried prawns is the prawn fry of good times. Just five ingredients, minimum cooking time, and maximum deliciousness!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 20 pieces
- 20 medium prawns or shrimp
- 2 tablespoon kashmiri chilli powder or paprika
- 1 vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil olive, vegetable, coconut, any oil of your choice
- 1 sprig curry leaves optional
- 1 lime optional
Clean the prawns and devein them. You can score them using a knife to soak up the marinade.
Add chilli powder, vinegar, and salt in a mixing bowl.
Mix well, add the prawns, and coat them in this marinade.
Give it a five minutes to absorb the flavours
Heat some oil, enough to coat the surface, in a nonstick pan.
Fry the prawns on a high flame turning them over frequently.
Each side should get roughly 3 minutes of cooking time each. We are looking for a nice golden brown consistency from the fried chilli coating.
Transfer the fried prawns to a plate.
Lower the flame, and fry some curry leaves.
Garnish the prawns with the curry leaves, and some lime slices. Serve hot and fresh.
- If you are using whole prawns you can retain the tail part like shown in this recipe
- You'll have to fry bigger prawns for a couple more minutes
- If you like your prawns crispy (and a tad rubbery) cook for more than the recommended 6 minutes. I like these extra fried ones as well :)
- Curry leaves and lime wedges are optional
- Alternatively, you can garnish with cilantro or mint leaves as well