Easy Shakshuka Recipe
Easy Shakshuka - Eggs cooked just enough in a bubbling sauce of tomatoes, bell peppers, garlic, cumin and paprika, and all the wonderful aromas with it!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 people
- 3 eggs
- 2 medium onions
- 3-4 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 1 medium capsicum (bell pepper)
- 3 medium tomatoes ripe
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or Kashmiri chilli powder
- to taste salt
- to garnish Cilantro (Coriander leaves)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Prep the ingredients. Thinly slice the capsicum. Finely chop the onions, tomatoes and garlic.
Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the chopped garlic for a minute. Reduce to medium, add the onions, and continue cooking until the onions turn translucent.
Now add the sliced capsicum, stir well, and continue cooking for a couple more minutes.
Now add the chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn tender and mushy. Add 1/4 cup water, salt, and mix well.
Add cumin seeds.
Now add salt, paprika, 1/4 cup of water, mix well, and let it simmer.
Make three wells in the sauce.
Break an egg, and carefully place it into a well. Repeat for the next two eggs.
Let the eggs poach in the sauce on a low flame. Wait for the whites to be set, and switch off the flame.
Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve with some bread.
- I have used paprika in this recipe. Kashmiri chilli powder is a great substitute
- If you want your shakshuka a bit more hot and spicy, add cayenne pepper or any other hot chillies
- If the tomatoes are sour, add a little sugar and mix well before dropping the eggs